Adopting a healthy lifestyle has become a trend nowadays. Having a healthy liver is part of this trend called ‘I want to live’ and more people should pay attention to it. The liver is the organ that drains the toxins out of the body and which can reset itself after being attacked by harmful substances. So we might say that it is quite important in our daily existence. Hence, a good reason to keep it functional, right?
Why is it important to have a healthy liver?
When it doesn’t function properly, the liver cannot filter and eliminate the toxins that we introduce into our bodies. This can cause the body to get sick and crash. When you least expect it! There are lots of supplements that can protect the liver, however if you want to prolong your life and feel better it is advisable that you change your way of life. A healthy liver can be kept with good dietary habits. Here are 10 foods that can help you with that!
1. Garlic – this is a miracle food that contains allicin. This is a sulfur-based compound that supports the process of detoxification and flushes the mercury and excessive estrogen out of the body.
2. Herbs – among the most popular herbs that maintain a healthy liver are ginger, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cayenne, cinnamon and fennel. All these improve digestion, help in the detoxification process and stimulate the secretion of enzymes from the pancreas, helping your body absorb more nutrients.
3. Coconut oil – this type of saturated fat is easily digestible and well received by the organism. It protects the liver from dangerous factors and it helps the cells regenerate faster.
4. Green tea – the green tea is rich in antioxidants and it has been proven to eliminate the accumulation of liver fat. In addition to this, green tea also protects the liver, the heart and fights against the expansion of the cancerous cells.
5. Avocado – this fruit has turned out to be a great friend of the ‘healthy liver.’ It contains high doses of glutathione, a compound that can boost the liver’s ability of self-cleansing. Introducing avocado into your diet can improve the health of your liver and can give you fresh ideas on what new type of dish to cook next.
6. Milk thistle – numerous studies and ancient documents discovered by contemporary scientists state that milk thistle is excellent for a healthy liver. This plant can be added to salads (the cooked leaves and flowers) while the seeds can be used to make tea or coffee substitutes. It has rehabilitating effects on a damaged liver, fighting against toxins and eliminating waste.
7. Walnuts – a bit more popular than its previously mentioned neighbors, the walnuts contain elevated levels of l-arginine and omega-3 fatty acids that help the liver pass the toxic ammonia existent in the body. And you can buy it from every supermarket in town.
8. Artichokes – this vegetable is rich in silymarin and cynarin. These nutrients are in charge of nourishing the liver, preventing gallstones and increasing bile production. It can have a bitter taste that makes your tongue fall off, but it’s good for your health (why don’t I ever hear that cake is good for my health?!?)
9. Eggs – these are some of the richest foods in quality protein featuring essential amino acids for the perfect functioning of your liver. They support the detoxification process and they help in the elimination of possible heavy metals existent in the body.
10. Grapefruit – this fruit is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants. This encourages the production of detox enzymes and stimulates the liver to burn more fat instead of storing it.
These 10 foods are easy to insert into your diet and they can guarantee a healthy liver. Think twice today for the good health of tomorrow!