Food is an infinite source of wonderment and excitement. I mean, some dishes are absolutely mind-blowing, while others seem depicted from a “saying stupid things” book. Really! Read the following interesting facts and you will understand what I am talking about!
Why is food so interesting?
Top 10 Interesting Facts About Food
1. Apples, pears, plums and cherries belong to the rose family. But whatever you do, make sure you don’t offer your prom date a bouquet of cherries. Personally, I would take the cherries but these young girls still believe in the miracle of love.
2. Castoreum is used as vanilla flavoring in baked goods or candies. But did you know that in fact it is a secretion from the anal glands of the beavers?
3. According to a study made in 2008, China produces over 10 million tons of garlic. This accounts for more than 75% of the world output.
4. McDonald’s sells 75 hamburgers /second every single day. I guess people didn’t hear about the McCafe yet!
5. Violets are blue and carrots are purple. Before the 16th century, the orange carrots did not exist. The Dutch growers combined mutant strains from yellow and white carrots and got the orange version. Hmm.. purple carrots. Not strange at all!
6. A study published in the International Journal of Food Microbiology discovered that 48% of the fountain soda drinks contain fecal bacteria and 11% contain E.coli. This is disturbing on so many levels!
7. Gummy bears and snacks with fruit flavors contain carnauba wax, a key ingredient that can also be found in the wax used to add shine to cars. It comes from the leaves of the carnauba palm tree from Brazil. This type of wax can be found in shoe polish, floor polish, cosmetics but also chewing gum, sauces or candies. And lots of pharmaceutical procedures involve coating tablets in order to aid swallowing.
8.Soda drains the calcium from the bones and contributes to lower bone mineral density and to the development of osteoporosis. In addition to this, it also destroys teeth enamel. So less soda, more water.
9. The original name of canola oil was rapeseed oil. But as you can imagine, the Canadian oil industry changed the name in order to avoid various problems and negative connotations. Canola is the short term for Canadian oil.
10. Cinnamon is a great antioxidant which can reduce the risk of blood clots, controlling blood sugar and improving insulin sensitivity. Combine cinnamon with a bit of honey and some hot water and drink it every morning before breakfast. You will notice the difference in no time!
That’s all folks! Have a happy Monday and pay more attention to what you eat today!