Up to a few years ago smoothies were not famous all over the globe. People were not touched by the smoothies frenzy and drank milkshakes instead. Because the proper milkshake can really bring the boys to the yard. But after the invention of the blender, the percentage of people who began introducing smoothies into their regular diet became higher and higher. Curious to know why?
A Short History of Smoothies
Around the 1930s the health food stores of the West Coast of the US started selling drinks that contained pureed fruit drinks based on recipes borrowed from Brazil. But South American was not the only one which generated delicious smoothies. The Middle Eastern and the Mediterranean cuisine are also big fans of this drink but the difference is that they add honey and yogurt to their favorite fresh fruit.
Nowadays, most of the smoothies are high in vitamins, antioxidants and fiber this being one of the main reasons why they are so popular and loved by everyone.
What is a Smoothie?
Most people recognize smoothies as thick drinks that have the consistency of a shake and include frozen fruit, yogurt or ice. The main reason why they are so beloved is because they taste great and can be extremely healthy depending on what you add in them. All-fruit smoothies can represent the best option for your health, while the one containing blueberries, cranberries and pomegranates can fill you up with antioxidants and vitamins.
What You Didn’t Know about Smoothies
1. The secret behind a perfect smoothie is the blender. Try getting a Vitamix or a Blendtec blender that can combine the ingredients in the perfect way. Believe it or not, this is a vital piece of equipment that can turn your smoothie from great into perfect.
2. The US smoothie market produces sales of over $2 billion every year.
3. The smoothies were not invented by the Americans. In fact they appeared somewhere in South America and were known under the name of fruit slush.
4. The history of the American smoothies began around the 1920s when a man named Julius Freed had problems with his stomach and could not enjoy freshly squeezed orange juice. So he made a puree and added a few more ingredients in order to get the famous drink that charmed his friends. Now, we call it a smoothie or an Orange Julius (this is how his friends used to order it).
5. Stephen Kuhnau, founded Smoothie King. This is the second largest smoothie franchise in the US and it claims that they were the founders of the term “smoothie” (1960s).
Since you’ve been good and maintained your interested, here is a simple and delicious recipe that can help you start your day with energy and optimism.
You need 3 tablespoons of water, 1 green tea bag, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 and 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/2 banana, 3/4 cup soy milk.
Start by microwaving the water until it steams hot then add the tea bag and let it brew for a couple of minutes. Remove the tea bag and stir the honey into the tea, letting it dissolve. Combine the berries, banana and milk into a blender and then add the tea. Blend everything well and serve it with berries on top. It’s delicious and nutritious!
Incoming search terms: