The Internet is filled with information that can keep people busy for hundreds of years.…
I love traveling! I love being the road, visiting unbelievable places and connecting with different cultures. But as I and everyone else knows it very well, while traveling you cannot eat healthy. Sometimes you are just too tired to search for a healthy meal or you don’t have the money to purchase natural products. So you choose to eat at the M place or at the K and F and C place that promise to feed your hungry stomach but doesn’t swear to be by your side when your cholesterol levels are high in the sky.
So what healthy alternative can you choose when you are on the road and you are craving for something to elevate your blood sugar? Keep calm and continue reading a bit more. We will share with you a few secrets that will help you eat healthy while traveling. May the force of the carrot be with you!
Tips on How to Eat Healthy While Traveling
1. Where do you stop? Sometimes you have no other option but to stop at a fast-food. So you stop. But this doesn’t mean that you automatically have to choose the sickest combination of fats and sugar there is. Some fast-foods include salads or lighther cooked meats that can provide the daily intake of nutrients and keep you full for more than 20 minutes. However, if you get the chance to pass by a grocery don’t hesitate and go in to buy some hummus, nuts, bagged carrots or fruit.
2. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So don’t miss the opportunity to get a good and healthy breakfast. This means choosing omlets instead of pancakes or wafles, coffee and tea instead of fruit juices, oatmeal and fruit instead of muffins. Most of these ‘do not’ elements are filled with refined sugar and fats which will not keep you full for a long time.
3. Foods that make you feel bad are bad. You all know those foods: you crave them so much but after eating them you feel so guilty and sick. Falling into temptation is easy when you are on the road, this is why it is important to avoid sodas, fruit juices, sugary snacks, fried food, sweeteners, margarine, peanut butter, alcohol, etc.
4. Drink a lot of water. The downside to this is that you will pee a lot but you will also flush your body of toxins, eat less and keep your skin looking healthy. Water is also a great ally against sun damage, junk food cravings or symptoms of travel lag. And as I mentioned, it will keep you full for a longer time diminishing your appetite. To be honest now, who has time to eat with all the peeing?
5. Call ahead. If you are traveling by plane call the airline and ask what type of menu they deliver. Most airlines are ready to offer meals that are low in sodium and fats, gluten-free, vegetarian, etc. Or, if you are not a fan of the airplane food pack your own food and leave all your worries away. Simpler!
6. Prepare yourself! If you know that you will be traveling to places where healthy food is hard to find, prepare your own meals or snacks. Dried foods, fruit, turkey sandwiches,veggie slices or nut butter sandwiches are just a couple of the options that you can select when preparing to eat healthy while traveling.
What tips can you share with us? What do you do to make sure you eat healthy while traveling?
One thought on “How to Eat Healthy While Traveling”