(as of May 22,2021 15:47:22 UTC – Details)
As its title suggests, this book captures the essence of Japanese life and culture in 100 words. From well-known concepts like zen, kawaii and anime to their lesser-known counterparts waiting to be discovered by the West, Japan in 100 Words covers it all.
Readers will learn more about:
- Chochin—decorative lanterns seen everywhere from shrines and temples to izakaya
- Fugu—the very carefully prepared delicacy of poisonous blowfish
- J-pop—the now widely popular musical genre
- Karoshi—literally translated as „overwork death”
- Omiai—the Japanese version of an arranged marriage
- And much more!
The beautiful full-color illustrations bring these ideas, places and objects to life—making it the perfect addition to any Japanophiles library or a fun and useful introductory guide for a first-time visitor to Japan.