Junk food has become a serious issue in today's world. More and more people have…
We’re getting closer to that period of time again. Time to be thankful for all the joys we have in life. Pumpkin pie is one of the things that we are grateful for. Of course, in the beginning of times, Thanksgiving was not about pumpkin pie, football or parades. It was about inviting the Native Americans to join the colonists in a big meal meant to celebrate. And they did have a lot to celebrate
Did you know?
- that the first Thanksgiving dinner wasn’t actually a dinner but a festival that lasted for three days?
- among the meals served there was no turkey, pumpkin pie or potatoes because they hadn’t been introduced in the area at the time.
- the date of Thanksgiving was changed in order to boost the economy and extend the shopping period with one more week.
- the contemporary version of the „turkey” was first known as guinea fowl and it was imported from Madagascar through the Ottoman Empire.
- have you ever wondered why turkey hunting is so easy? Well apparently turkeys too can have heart-attacks. So when the Air Force was conducting test runs, fields of turkeys dropped dead due to the sound.
- Thomas Jefferson thought that Thanksgiving was the „most ridiculous idea I’ve ever heard.”
About pumpkin pie…..
- at the beginning of times, the American colonists used pumpkin in pie crusts, not in the filling.
- the largest pumpkin pie had a diameter of five feet and weighed more than 350 pounds. To cook it they used 80 pounds of pumpkin, 36 pounds of sugar and 12 dozen eggs.
- the flowers of the pumpkins are edible and they contain vitamin A and potassium.
- in 1705, Colchester (a town in Connecticut) postponed Thanksgiving because they didn’t have enough molasses in order to make pumpkin pie.
Check out this video to learn more about pumpkin pie and The Little Pie company in New York. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!