Zanzibar Holidays Information
The best times to visit Zanzibar can be grouped according to a couple of considerations
* Lets start with “when not to visit”: Late March – end of May. This is the long monsoon season when there are prolonged rains, hot and very humid. Many hotels on the island and camps/lodges in the parks close during this time. We advise not to travel during this period.
* June – Late October: This is a good time to visit as it is the dryer season with average rainfall of just 2 inches per month and average temperatures of about 25 degrees C, 77 degrees F.
* Late November: This time of year is known as “the short rains” lasting a couple of weeks. It can rain for a couple of hours, then the skies will clear, especially on the east coast where the best beaches are located.
* December – late January: Starting to get warm, but still not too hot and usually low rainfall.
* February – Late March: Getting hot with average temperatures in the high 80’s F, high 20’s C, and humid in the build-up to the long monsoon season. At this time of year we strongly advise hotels with air-con bedrooms to get a good nights sleep.
|Getting Hotter||Hot||Hot||Very Hot Wet||Very Hot Wet||Warm||Warm||Warm||Warm||Warmer||Change able||Getting Hot|
* School holidays: (Mid June – August and Festive Season) are the most expensive times. International flight prices are high (£850.00+ per person). Hotel and camp/lodges prices are at their highest and most hotels do not offer “specials” during this period. But can not be avoided when going on a family holiday. Festive Season many hotels add supplements and flight prices even higher.
* September – late October: Flight prices and hotel prices are reasonable. * November – mid December: Flight prices are reasonable and many hotels, camps and lodges
offer “specials” during this period.
* Early January – March: Flight prices reasonable and rates at hotels, camps and lodges relatively low.
* March – end May: Very good prices all round, but remember the weather may be poor. Many hotels, camps and lodges closed during this period.
|Low||Low||Low||V Low||V Low||Low||High||High||High||Mid||Mid||Low||Low||V High|
On balance, if you can avoid school holidays, we feel the best times to visit are September – mid December and if you do not mind some heat, January – mid March.